Subscriber Login



Forgot Your Username?
Forgot Your Password?
Gary Ridderbusch

Sports Sidelines


Gary Ridderbusch has been a sportswriter for more than 20 years.
He can be reached at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
or P.O. Box 1929, Eagle River, WI 54521.

 



WIAA Board OKs basketball mercy rule

The Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA) Board of Control approved a number of coaches' advisory committee recommendations at its June meeting, including the mercy rule for high school basketball.

The basketball season will now see a mercy rule for varsity games during the regular season and throughout the Tournament Series beginning in 2013-’14.

According to the rule, a running clock will be implemented once the point differential reaches 40 points at any time after the conclusion of the third quarter unless a timeout is called. Regardless if the score differential

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:56 PM
 
Hall of fame to induct 2 athletes, coach, team
By Gary Ridderbusch

The Eagle River/Northland Pines High School ­Athletic Hall of Fame Committee announced it will induct two standout athletes, a longtime coach and a State Championship hockey team to the hall Friday, Aug. 30.

The two athletes to be inducted are 1986 graduate Shawn (Gremban) Sullivan and 1973 graduate Joe Sparks. They will be joined at the ceremony by former football and track coach Ray Dillahunt. In addition, the 1984 State Championship boys hockey team will be inducted as a team.

Sullivan was a four-time letterwinner on the Northland Pines track and field team. She was co-most valuable player (MVP) in 1983, MVP?in 1984, co-MVP in 1985 and team captain in 1986. She still holds the school record in the 400-meter dash at 59.2 seconds and the 800-meter run in 1 minute,

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:26 PM
 
Three Packer greats to be inducted into hall
By Gary Ridderbusch

While the football season is still a little more than two months away, the Green Bay Packers will be inducting three former players into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame next month.

The 43rd Hall of Fame Induction Banquet will be held Saturday, July 20, in the Lambeau Field Atrium. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Chris Jacke and Emil Fischer will become the newest members of the hall that evening.

Gbaja-Biamila, a defensive end who was a fifth-round selection from San Diego State in 2000, is the club’s all-time leader in sacks with 74½. The relentless pass rusher led the team in sacks five times, including four straight campaigns with 10 or more quarterback takedowns (2001-04), a club record.

Jacke, a placekicker who was a sixth-round

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:41 PM
 
Fitness buffs, athletes invited to two events
By Gary Ridderbusch

Two special events are planned in the North Woods for fitness enthusiasts or athletes who are looking for new challenges.

The Marshfield Clinic Woodruff Center will host an Olympic Day event that will feature two Olympic athletes Saturday, June 29, and the YMCA of the Northwoods will be hosting Mud Run training starting Tuesday, June 25.

Eric Mueller, who won a silver medal in rowing at the 1996 Olympics, and Igor Badamshin, a Russian Olympian who competed in cross-country skiing, will be attending the Marshfield Clinic event.

The event, which will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.,

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:33 PM
 
Golf scramble to benefit Northland Pines sports

Coming off of a great year of Northland Pines athletics, including conference championships in football, boys and girls hockey, and girls basketball, coaches and athletes want to build on that momentum.
The football coaching staff, led by head coach Eric Swanson, is organizing its inaugural four-person golf scramble and all Northland Pines athletic teams will benefit. Plans are for 25% of all proceeds to be given to the Northland Pines activities account, with the remaining 75% to be used to purchase new equipment for the football team.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 6:48 PM
 
«StartPrev12345678910NextEnd»

Page 9 of 35